Monday, March 23, 2015

Airplane Etiquette

I have been on more than my fair share of flights. I have traveled on around 10 flights over the Atlantic. Then hundreds more within the continental US and Europe. And I plan to do so much more. Anyway, I'd like to say I have this down. So forgive me for  providing a few tips to those who have not had the opportunity to fly in a super cool metal tube. 

1. Please ensure all tray tables are stowed and your seats are in the upright position. Please ask before reclining your seat. On my flight to New York, I was working on my laptop like the little studious student I am, and you know there's not a ton of space for a laptop on the tray table. And the lady in front of me threw her seat back. Thank you ma'am. I completely understand wanting to have the leisure of a reclined seat, and I definitely don't want to intrude on that right. But, there's also the ability to speak, so maybe just give us people behind you the warning. 


2. If you're in an aisle seat, please be prepared to move to allow the people next to you to move freely about the cabin (that includes not sleeping the entire flight. In order to do so - chose a window seat). On one of my flights, I was in the window seat and the two VERY NICE gentlemen next to me pretty much took shifts sleeping. I had to pee real bad for a lot of the flight. Needless to say, that wasn't too fun. 


3. Please proceed in an orderly fashion towards the nearest exit. Please don't be pushy when getting off the plane when we have reached our destination. We all have places to be. If you have another plane to catch that you might not make it to, be my guest. But please be respectful of others that are also on the plane. 


When I was learning how to drive, my dad would always say "we all are helping each other getting to where we need to go". Avoid road rage. (Great rule of thumb by the way). But it counts on planes too. There's really no help getting mad at anyone. We all have places to go. Let's all help each other get there. 


4. Also, please proceed in an orderly fashion for boarding time. A mass of people at the gate flooding into the walking area really isn't helping anyone. We can form lines, friends.


5. Keep your hands and feet inside the vehicle at all times. By vehicle I mean seat. Everyone deserves their space. This includes not elbowing the person next to you because you simply must have the both arm rests. Also, the plane is small. I understand that it is harder to keep all limbs in your confined space, but be respectful about. People are generally understanding. Similar to point 1, use your words. 


6. If you complete the puzzles in the Skymall or sky magazine or whatever is provided, please take it with you when you get off the plane. This will allow the next passenger to enjoy his/her own puzzle just as much as you did. I guarantee there's a recycling bin right near the gate. It won't kill you. 


7. If you're on a flight that is anything short of about 6 hours, I swear you'll be okay with leaving your shoes on. Yes, it's comfortable, I get that. I used to always take them off when I was a kid. However, you're also in a small fuselage with a hundred+ people. We don't need that stink in our lives.


8. Be respectful to the flight attendants. They live a hard life of dealing with inpatient passengers and always jetting off to the next adventure (actually that's not too bad of a life... the second part that is). I guarantee there is nothing they can do to get you to your destination faster.  


9. Going off that, don't yell at the captain or first officer. My boyfriend is a pilot and, trust me, they have their hands full steering the metal tube being thrown from one place to another - they don't need you complaining about not making it to dinner with your second cousin twice removed. From all the significant others of pilots, thank you.  


10. There's a very funny episode of Modern Family in which Claire ends up sitting in first class without Phil, and she sits next to a rich girl who basically gets drunk and is really rude to the flight attendant and rude to everyone on the plane. Y'all. Let's be respectful please. Respect is the name of the game.


10. And of course, please use headphones.
I wrote a lot of this while on my flight to New York because I was a little frustrated. Then, 15 minutes before we landed, I looked outside at New York - a place I had never been and was about to explore. And this machinery just got me here in 3 hours. For real, flying is one of the coolest things, in my opinion, humans have accomplished. So now that I've had my rant, really do enjoy that flight. It's really cool. So get out there and travel. Do so with respect, but more importantly have an absolute blast. For both you and myself. And have an awesome time exploring the world. 


À bientôt, 

Emma

No comments:

Post a Comment