Saturday, March 14, 2015

My Mother's Daughter


I am my mother’s daughter.

From my long dark hair and eyes to my love of all things chocolate, I am my mother’s daughter. My mom is more than just a role model to me, and more than just someone I know I can always count on; she also happens to be one of my best friends. My mom knows me better than anyone in the world—sometimes I think she even knows me better than myself. She’s the best listener and the best advice giver I know, and (although sometimes it's hard to admit it) most of the time she is right. My mom and I have always been close, but in recent years I’ve come to realize just how much I appreciate and need her in my life. Although I’m only about an hour away from home, I’m not ashamed to admit that I still text or call my mom on a daily basis, and she’s always there to listen to my complaints about homework, stress, boy problems, what I should wear, and everything in between. That’s what moms are for, but really, this is just who my mom is. She’s one of the kindest, most selfless people I know: she volunteers her time with United Way to educate mothers with newborn babies, she spends her free time baking cookies for all of my friends, she does favors for people even when she’s not asked, and she is the anchor that holds my family steadfast through the storm. She’s shown me what it means to love someone with your whole heart, and to completely be selfless for those you love. She’s loved me at times when I’ve found it’s hard to love myself. She’s the first person I share good news with, and the first person I call when I feel like my world is falling apart. She’s always honest with me, and tells me exactly what I need to hear—and when the truth hurts, she’s there to help put me back on my feet. I am my mother’s daughter, and I would not be the same person without her. Every day I am grateful for her compassion, her kindness, her strength, and all that she has given me. Simply put, when I grow up, I want to be my mom.

Courtney 

No comments:

Post a Comment